Sunday 10 August 2014

Here Be Dragons

Lots of Dragonflies flying around my garden this week, too fast to photograph unless they're taking a rest. The one below obligingly stopped for a while on the washing line. I was astonished by the detail and colour, serving only to increase my fascination with these creatures. I think this is a Common Darter, but I'm not absolutely sure, the abdomen was red but I neglected to take a picture of the whole thing.

Also unidentified is the bug further down found on garden safari. It's not in my Collins field guide so, until proved otherwise, I shall claim it as a new discovery to science...


Common Darter (?) Dragonfly on clothes peg
Common Darter (?) Dragonfly

Common Darter (?) Dragonfly
Bug awaiting identification (EDIT: Shield Bug nymph)
Bug awaiting identification (EDIT: Shield Bug nymph)

No comments:

Post a Comment