Monday 16 May 2016

Jewelwings

I took a swift walk down to the Land Yeo, the stream that runs through the valley below Tyntesfield. I was hoping to see some damselflies and was rewarded immediately on entering the woods that line the stream by finding aptly named Beautiful Demoiselles. I only had ten minutes, but that was enough to grab a few shots of both a emerald/blue male and golden female.

Beautiful Demoiselle (female)


Beautiful Demoiselle (female)

Beautiful Demoiselle (male)

Beautiful Demoiselle (male)















Back on the estate and in my back garden, this year's frog tadpoles now have tiny back legs appearing and are transforming from the black blobs they were a couple of weeks ago. I have had more than a few conversations about the ethics of taking spawn / tadpoles and putting them in a tank, I took just 12 from a water butt in which they were unlikely to survive. I still have 12 and they are growing well. I've also been able to enthuse small children and adults as to the wonders of pond life, so my conscience is clear.



Frog tadpole with rear legs appearing

Ground Beetle (Poecilus cupreus (or possibly P. versicolor?))

Nettle tip (with sheltering beetle)

No comments:

Post a Comment